Friday, June 3, 2011

How to "Think and Grow Rich" Part 1

I have read many books on finance, economy, and personal development.  This has always been  one of  my interests.  You cannot peruse personal success literature for very long before you run into Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich.

This book is credited by many to be one of the central self-development texts.  Those of you who know about the book will remember that the original was first published in the 1930s.  It is said to be a how-to text used by many, many wealthy people.  

I purchased this book some years back, becoming wealthy is something that many of us aspire to. I read the first few pages, and to be perfectly honest, I hated it.  I thought its tone was incredibly materialistic, self-indulging, yet another form of self-development 'voodoo'. I thought that I could not reconcile this book with my belief system.

Some in my circles would even go so far as to place the 'this is really NEW AGE AND FROM THE DEVIL' label on the book (I often find myself in the circles of an evangelical christian family and community).

My return to think and grow rich

A month or so ago, I revisited "Think and grow rich". I cannot exactly tell you what made me do this. I listened to the entire book in audio format and it absolutely blew my mind!

I realised that Hill addresses many of the issues I am working on in my personal and career life.  In my opinion, this book deals mainly with our mindset and mentality.  Hill tries to instill a wealth mentality in his readers.  Something I need to cultivate very much.

For the next couple of weeks, I will be spending time with this book.  I will try to share with you how this book helped me, how it changed my thoughts, and how it may help you on your journey. Maybe we could distill some helpful principles together, who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your insights, comments, and suggestions in response to the posting. Balanced Life SA aspires to be helping and respectful community. Irrelevant and obscene comments will be removed by moderators.